Wednesday 8 June 2016

Mangchinthang: A person who loves to scribble

Mangchinthang is a self taught artist and very humble person. His sketches are no mystery to his friends and people who know his art. A person who loves to scribble alot, that’s how his journey began with his pencil.  He is a person who imagines things out of the box and sketches them out of nowhere.


Let’s all listen to his story
My name is Mangchinthang of Paite community.  I am originally from Manipur of Churachandpur district.  I have be staying here in Dimapur for the past 13 years
I'll be 22 by 18 of this month...  I stay here at Seithekema, Chumukedima, Dimapur nearby to  Patkai Christian college. I recently graduated from Patkai Christian College

Mangchinthang, tell me something about your sketch. 
I'm just a self taught not in a level to be called an artist.  I just draw and paint for the love of art
I have always like drawing since I was I kid. I guess I have been doing it since then till now



Where do you seek for inspiration from?
I get my inspiration from what I see around me. Even Nature or works of other artists...
I don't know well every free time, I have I'll scribble on a paper or on my notebook
I even get ideas from Google
Before the internet techno, I imagine and create pictures, mostly of nature or a scene of anything
But now with technology at hand, I just browse and get ideas and paint or sketch
As for portrait, some people use to inspire me.  When I see, I have that feeling, you know the thrill inside which makes me want to sketch their portrait.
I like the work of an Indonesia watercolour artist, Jongkie..  His works are usually of animals and imaginary character.
Realistic art works are nice but I am more interested in messy and abstract type


Have you taken any course or class?
I always wanted to take an art class but due to financial constraint i am not able to, the courses are expensive.  So my only option is to learnt through Google and YouTube.

Do you get support by anyone?
I received good support from family and friends.. Though not financially.  For financial help I'll have to help myself because no one will
 I get inspiration from a friend, it happens every time but I feel the best when my own family appreciate my work because friends will always say good words but family the speaks the truth

Any awards or exhibition you attended?

I just took part in one exhibition and it was not a competition just a display type
I won a few in within college and inter college competition...
I actually never do well in competition because it has time limits and can never do anything good in situations where there time limit

Share me a moment you l always remember 
This one Inter college competition which was organised by School of Management Nagaland University under the theme ‘Zoommax’...  I won the first prize in that..  It was a painting competition...  One are way to the venue. Those other competitors were like” I participate in a state level and got first” Then the other person with a district level...  I kept quite.  Was a bit worried at first but gave my best and it was I “who got first”.  It was a proud moment for me

What challenges do you face as a painter?
 Challenges...  Lack of good material, we don't find good material out here..
It's available online though. Being still dependent on parents for my expense, I  can't ask for buying expensive stuffs. But then those are just minor. I can always managed with those available

Do you sell your art work?
I won't call it exactly selling. But some people use to ask for a painting. So I take the charges of the material. If they give the materials I paint it for them and keep the leftover paint as a charge

What’s your future plan; take up art as a career?
Art has fewer objectives and not yet accepted fully in our place like North East. A person like me has less chance as a career. But I will continue doing it and support myself so that I can take up some courses. I am not a quitter.  I'll look for a job and work on my art side by side.  I am also planning to exhibit and sell some works of mine in one of my brother friend studio

What do you see yourself in five years?
I believe I'll have a good job, even if it's not a first class. It's a dream to have an art gallery
I am working for it, even if it takes me more than 5 years. I'll surely make it true someday

What would you like to say to a person who wants to become a painter or an artist?
To me I'll say “If you love art and want to be an artist. Never compare your work with other. Art is a signature we have our own way. We all do it differently. Keep on drawing and drawing the more you draw the better you get and never quit... We are all artist within. Only those who never quit get successful.

Lend me your message to sum up the interview?


 "You can never have everything you want. But with art you can make anything you want...  Like all the great artist have said.. Anything you can imagine is real '.

For more pictures, visit https://www.facebook.com/Thang-Thang-Art-work-1658255951095302/



















Chalk piece 

Frame



By Azhove Resu

No comments: