Monday 13 June 2016

Imli Lee (Dejavu) is back: Never give up

“I know it seems hard sometimes but remember one thing. Through every dark night, there's a bright day after that. So no matter how hard it get, stick your chest out, keep ya head up.... and handle it.” says Tupac Shaku



Imli Lee (Dejavu) the rapper, is one among the most decorated eminent personality in Naga Music Industry. Tolling his hardship and difficulties he had been in the industry for around 10 years. His mystery of success, hard work and labour invigilates him to be the person he is now.
He is yet to achieve his dream goals but he keeps his work focus in order to sustain and become someone in life, his story of struggle still continues and will continue on.



Let’s roll on into our guy 

Mr Yo, let’s all start with your basics.
Hello, my name is Imlinochet/Kezevilie, also known by my stage name "Imli Lee (Dejavu)" I have been involved with music for the last 12 years or so. But yes I still struggling to stand on my feet.

Please enlightens us how it all started as a musician?
I used to be a poet during my schooling days and I think that's how I developed on to rapping, hip hop music and so on. I also write my own script.

Did you take any course?  
No courses, no training it just came naturally. I think it’s all about the interest, if you put your heart into it, anything is possible.But not forgetting we have to sharpen our skills, of course.


Being in music industry for many years, what’s the biggest challenge you ever face?
I think getting my music through to the wider audience and trying to make a living out of it. Life is so complicated.

Would you choose Music as your career?
If I’d have established myself well enough to make a living out of making music, I would stick to music for as long as I can, otherwise besides that I’m keeping an option open to other works. I am still very young hahaha...

What are your songs all about?
My songs are basically about social issues, relationships, not literally love songs but more of motivational songs. I like to be known as a "philanthropist"

Who is behind your motivation?
Believe me when I say this, most artists’ musicians are motivated or inspired by someone or the other, and thus their music sound somewhat similar to their inspirations. But frankly I have none to my credit. I like to make my own music and the rhythm to it

Are you interest in beat boxing? It’s one of the latest trends?
I used to beat box when I started out. But now I have lost my touch. Maybe I gave up on it because I wasn't good at it hahaha maybe....

Narrate us "a moment to remember" as a musician.
I have been blessed to perform in some amazing places but one place I loved the most was perhaps in Akuluto, in Zunheboto district. We sang for a cause and the cause was fruitful.

Tell us about the biggest crowd you ever faced? 
The biggest crowd would be in Longleng during the Phom day celebration and my first stage performance as a pro was in 2004 with my first band - Ritual fusion



Give us your view on how Naga music industry would grow.
Music industry is there already, it's an open venture, the only problem is within us, you see people making it big or far have enough of struggles and criticism, For instance, take Alobo Naga, but the answer lies within us, we should never give up and never stop trying. Be consistent and ever dedicated to your art. And then it will only be a matter of time, we make it big in the industry. Believe in yourself man.

Highlight us some of your awards you have got so far.
I’ve actually won several awards.  Some of them are best hip hop/Rap for 2011 &2012 by Music Awards of Nagaland, and i also have anchored a TV show- on Doordarshan titled- The Backyard Buzz



What is your message to the young buds who are aspiring to become a musician?
For the upcoming budding musicians, be real, make original music. Cover songs can get you some attention but that fades, develop on your skills and make good original music, people will remember you for it.  Don't shy away from asking help from musicians who have already made a mark in the industry.



Lastly, share us your message to the people reading the post.
On behalf of all the struggling artists, my  humble request to the people would kindly extend thier love and support, whenever any concert comes up, please try to show your support by attending the program. Most of the concerts seats are always empty and it is discouraging for musicians to take up the stage when there are less people showing up. We make music, put our heart and soul into it but our music can only grow if we get the love and support that we need. Therefore I am looking forward to a great year with my new video all set to release this weekend and my new album which comes up later this year..
You can always reach me at 





No comments: