Saturday 2 July 2016

Nagalish, you may consider your lingo

We are living in an era of screens where people choose to talk behind screens and ignore the person sitting next to you. The imaginary world has sucked the people out of its comfort zone. In today’s generation, rich or poor, asked any teenager if they have a smart phone or not. 80% does nowadays. We can even go to the extent of asking if they play Clash of Clan (COC) or not. The social network life has attribute to our daily needs, Whatsapp have introduced the chunk of undefined words in our cell phone. 
Credit: Damn,seriously 
Facebook starts with the update “what’s in your mind”; now our mindset has evolved with unlimited queries and activities in social network using lingos. You l always find these words in Facebook “what you think, what you feel" and "what you did" to "what you are doing (I’m in the toilet, want to join me?)", "who your crush was", "where you are going" and " what you are watching (seriously, stop the social commentary, I have TVs at home and I can see the score or I can Google it if I want)". But despite all the ridiculous updates, I love social media. I love how social media has brought us closer and well, you won't have to act like you remembered their birthdays anymore (Moment of truth, I don't even know my last two digits phone number).
Credit: Damn,seriously 
Remember when it is your birthday and you get hoards of wishes from relatives and friends. Many of which don't talk to you for the whole year, except on some special occasions, perhaps on your result day. "Thank you Social Media, you have made wishing people cheaper and easier."To an extent, you also have taken away the etiquette of wishing, maybe, perhaps. But who would have thought social networking sites like Facebook and WhatsApp become the death of a beautiful language such as English?
Credit: Damn, seriously 
Imagine it is your birthday and you get wishes from people all around. Write a happy birthday wish? Okay, cool, acceptable. Thank you.  But the wishes read, "Hi! Api b'dae,HBD, Gbu, Enzoe ua dae '
No offence God, but I read gbu as Gabu not God bless you and it makes me go hulk.
"What????? On my birthday also? Really? I almost poop myself inside my pant, Are you F* serious? You fun spoiling, rotten potato of a thing! Is that even a language? How do you expect me to enjoy my day after seeing something like that? I don't want to sound superstitious but that is a bad luck. Well, not on my birthday at least please." 
On the other contrary, what do you expect if the other person does the same to you?
Say like you wished someone and they reply with ty, tnx, thnx.
"Seriously man, I am taking my time to type you a message and all you do is Ty me? Well, at least have the courtesy to say 'thank you' or 'thanks' instead of the lingos."
The other day I was browsing, jobless like any other day and I came across a status. I barely was able to make out a single word that girl was trying said. I don't recall coming across any word such as Hurd, ew for you, dam for damn, fol for fool, daying in any dictionary. I had to stop midway for the love of my precious eyes.  The monstrosity of the abuse was too much for the eye to bear. I am no Higgins but Higgins would have never forgiven the woman for the blunder she made to the English language and refuse to take her in. But yes I do appreciate your sexism to attract your opposite partner using the lingos. You must have been a big shot lady who could score anywhere. 
Well English is not our mother tongue but we have been taught how to write and speak English since nursery. Even all the smart phones even have auto correction. You can't claim to know English and type like that. Yes, text language saves time but if you can speak proper English, why not learn to type proper English too instead of blabbering the words with lingo?
Credit: Damn,seriously 
We are letting text language flourish in our land, and much of the formalism surrounding the use of English has been discarded.
It is time for us to seriously consider and question our brand of English. As we see, so far English has a comparatively confined existence in different places. In fact, it is dignity of the language! Our English must adopt the complexion of our lives and assimilate its idioms, but not mongrelize the language. Let us respect the rule of law and maintain the dignity of language.



Your concern lingo citizen, Kusayi Lohe


No comments: