Thursday 7 July 2016

Metba Phom, a Tennis player from Nagaland

Metba Phom is a 20-year-old boy from Longleng in Nagaland who now rubs shoulder at the professional circuit in Delhi Lawn Tennis Association. At a very young age he left his studies and went to Delhi to become a full time professional player in Tennis. Despite his challenges and short coming, he aspire to follow and fulfill his dream. Lets hear from him...

Metba Phom, A Tennis player from Nagaland

Give us a brief introduction about you and your background?
 l'm Metba phom, son of Kanglong phom of Nyang village under Longleng District. I'm a Tennis player at National level, currently coached by Ma'am, Shalini Thakur at Delhi Lawn Tennis Association (DLTA). Besides, I worked as an assistant coach for 9 months at Delhi Lawn Tennis Association.

Metba Phom, A Tennis player from Nagaland

How did you first become involved in the sport and what keeps your passion flourishing to this very day?
 When I was studying at Greenwood school Dimapur in 2006, the All India Tennis Association(AITA) through the initiative of Nagaland Lawn Tennis Association(NLTA) launched a selection Campaign and I was fortunate among the five students selected to be trained at National Tennis Academy(NTA). Well, it is by the grace of God and the unending support from my family and friends that I'm able to move on each day and have come thus far.
Not forgetting, I owe my credit even to the All  Nagaland Lawn Tennis Association (NLTA) for the initiative they took at the first place. It is because of them that I'm standing on this ground today.

Metba Phom, A Tennis player from Nagaland

What about your daily routine? How do you work out a day?
As an aspirant to become a professional Tennis Player, each day is quite hectic for me when it comes to activities. I get up at 5am, and get myself ready for my first session i.e, give private class for one hour to some Japanese 7to8am, as part of my income to meet my personal needs. From there I go to my Academy for training 8-9 (fitness), 9to11:30am (practice). In the evening, I go to park for jogging since my body requires maximum fitness. With that I end my day.

Metba Phom, A Tennis player from Nagaland

Why did you choose this career? I heard you left your education to give your full time?
Yes! I realized that sports was my ultimate passion/goal. As a student, I grew up playing various kinds of sports and I knew I would excel in this field. The only reason I chose this career for the fact that, "no matter what, it is always good to follow our heart, and Tennis have been a game that I desired to play for at higher level.
Who is your inspiration?
I've been inspired by many individuals in the phase of many challenges but to name one among them is my daddy. Despite his hardship and painstaking life journey since infant a mere child who lost his Father when he was in his mother's womb, proof himself to be a man of courage, faithful, peace, loving, honest and a man of principal.  I thank God we have him till now!

Your favourite personality?
I genuinely love Roger Federer. With all the fames and achievement he has, yet one of the most humble Player I have ever seen.
Have you ever represented India? If so what was your feeling.
Till now, I have not represented India in any of the major tournaments but I do play the All India Tennis Association(AITA). National Ranking tournament at various parts of India. Though,  I have not been able to represent our country professionally, but I play with the spirit and attitude that I represent Nagaland and our Association at any level I play. Well, Its  always a proud feeling to play at any competitive levels whether I win or lose. After all, I chase my dreams not Competition

Metba Phom, A Tennis player from Nagaland

Tell us what the life of professional tennis player looks like.
To be professional in any fields, it takes a lot of our hard work and dedication. And Tennis particularly being an individual game, sheer dedication and efforts is required with the same level of intensity, be it physical fitness, mental or the level of game you play.  
Metba Phom, A Tennis player from Nagaland

Did you ever felt like giving up, How did you manage?
Yes! At some point of time I have felt like giving up the profession for obvious reasons. Despite all the hardships and difficulties, the only reason that keeps me going is that, God is with me and He will never fail me. Besides, the overwhelming support from my family and friends keeps me going...

Do you face discrimination or feel when you play?
Yes, as human, after putting all my best effort that I could, I feel being discriminated in areas of attention, Opportunities and basic requirement. But, when I play, I leave aside all the negative thought and just focus on my game and just enjoy every moment that come by.

Highlight some of the achievement you have got
 Few achievements are
1)      My highest National Ranking at All India Tennis Association (AITA) Under-12(rank 32),  u-14(rank 47),u-16(rank 66),u-18(rank 87).
2)      Cleared All India Tennis Association (AITA) Level-3 coaches’ course.
3)      Under-12, u-14 and u-16 champion at All India Tennis Association (AITA) tournament.
4)      When I won my first AITA tournament U-12 in junior category.
     
Lend us favourite quote
 "Your time on this earth is limited. Focus on yourself, your dreams and your legacy. Don't waste it on people who don't believe in you"

Metba Phom, A Tennis player from Nagaland

What are your future plans?
To play as much as I can and if I excel in this field, I wish to set up an Academy in our state to promote Tennis and impart my experiences and skill to our younger generation.

Metba Phom, A Tennis player from Nagaland

What advice would you give to someone who aspires to play on the professional circuit?

Believe in yourself and take one step at a time. It takes time to establish oneself, but it's worth the wait. Be hardworking & determined. Never lose hope for we don't know what future may bring. Focus on your goal. Never try to prove yourself to people, only time will bring you to the right place of contentment. But above all, trust God.
Metba Phom, A Tennis player from Nagaland

Metba Phom, A Tennis player from Nagaland

Metba Phom, A Tennis player from Nagaland

Metba Phom, A Tennis player from Nagaland

No comments: